Just what the holistic nutritionist ordered: pumpkin pie & ice cream for breakfast!
Whether you are still in the spirit of Thanksgiving or just in love with the season of pumpkins, this sweet breakfast will banish cravings, reduce inflammation, and awaken your inner dessert-for=breakfast rebel to supercharge your morning.
Pumpkin as a superfood:
- Fountain of youth
- Potent in beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant to combat toxins and aging!
- Vitamins A, C, and K coupled with beta carotene amp the immune boosting effect of pumpkin
- Get the skinny
- High in fibre and low in calories, this holiday staple will help to manage weight (Just not in your conventional pie)
Pump up the Nutrition!
- This recipe calls for real pumpkin. At my house, we cook them up and bag the extras to put into the freezer and thaw later. This way you are super packing your breakfast with nutrition and avoiding the potential toxins of canned pumpkin.
- Having used up my stores of chia seeds, this is a basic overnight oat recipe but the addition of chia will charge this into a high fibre breakfast perfect for a post Thanksgiving gobble down .
Adventure Level: 2/5
Pumpkin Pie Oats:
1/2 cup rolled oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond milk
4 tbsp pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8th tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp alcohol free vanilla
1/8th – 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
pinch of cloves
pinch of Himalayan salt
Liquid Stevia to taste (I like Sweet Leaf alcohol free)
1 Frozen Banana
Cinnamon to taste
Combine all oat pie ingredients and put in a glass jar to refrigerate overnight. In the morning, set the oats out and blend the frozen banana until creamy. The more powerful the blender, the faster and easier this will be. Add cinnamon until satisfied, top your oats and enjoy!
The Tasty Switch Up:
What you see above is topped with raw cacao nibs for a little crunch. I later added an organic apple from our tree, simply dicing it up and layering it between the pie and the ice cream for a sweet and juicing contrast of fall flavours.
With full permission to indulge your inner rebel with dessert for breakfast,
Layers of rich chocolate chia and creamy banana ice-cream topped with crunchy cacaonibs. Sugar free, dairy free, soy free, and absolutely heavenly!
Chia as a superfood:
- Just 2 TBS has 24% of your daily recommended fibre causing you to feel full longer and helping to cleanse your body
- Packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, just 2 TBS provides you with 10% of your daily calcium, and 8% of your daily iron
- These tiny beauties are a good source of omega 3s and complete protein
NOTE: to reap the benefits of this beautifying and cleansing seed, you need to soak them first until they gel. otherwise, they will go in one end and out the other without being digested and absorbed. And on that lovely note…
- 1 Cup coconut or almond milk
(the minimally processed form of cocoa. Can be found at your local health food store)
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined. For a smooth consistency, blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Place your mixture in the fridge for at least 5 hours or allow it to sit overnight.
- 1 TBSP freshly grated ginger
- 3-5 drops of liquid stevia
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until combined. Adjust flavours as needed. Note: the higher the speed and the longer you blend, the more your banana will soften and the less “ice cream” consistency you will have.
From here, simply layer your pudding and cream in a fancy glass (too pretty not to display), top with raw cacao nibs, and enjoy!
P.S. with a dessert like this, I don’t think anyone would judge you if a picture just so happened to slip onto instagram 😉