For those of us with an appetite for the world of wellness, the feast of advocates for sustainability, the soul seekers and rejuvenation junkies, we may beg the question: what on earth does one buy for us?! Well, if you’re thinking earth, you’re on the right path. A path paved by aloe plants, bouquets of kale and petals of Echinacea, if it’s earthly and earth-wise, chances are we’ll dig it!
For The Scent-sational
1) A Diffuser + Essential Oils
- My work party did something very special this year. We all regifted items from our home, (funny or otherwise) drew numbers and decided to open a new gift or steal someone else’s. It’s a great way to reduce excessive Christmas spending, rid your basement of lingering junk, and is all fun and games until the diffuser you stole gets stolen from you! I begged, I pleaded, I drew the “I’m new” card, to no avail.
- At the top of my list, essential oil diffusers make the perfect home air fresheners without the synthetic chemicals. These oils also offer a host of medicinal properties when you are sick (oregano) and the ability to relax and enhance sleep (lavender) or revigorate and energize (citrus).
- They can also be used as perfumes (forgoing the up to 3,000 chemical constituents of conventional fragrances) and in beauty products.
For The Wild Soul
Those of us with a flaming passion for wildlife, the preservation of endangered species and the deep longing for the safari’s of Africa …
2) “I want a hippopotamus for Christmas”
- Give or receive an ACTUAL hippo! My guinea pig, Aussie, was my “all I want for Christmas” last year, but animals (even miniature ones) are big, daily commitments. Not yet ready for that responsibility? Thankfully there are “pets” we can give with no clean up, free to roam their natural habitat, and bypass the aggressively deadly behavior of the territorial hippo. Sadly, no, the house hippo is not a real thing.
- This hippo or other exotic and endangered specie adoptions, come from WWF (the World Wild Life Fund). Make sure you order early to receive the gift certificate and plush toy to give away.
- Adopt liberally here: http://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/Species-Adoptions/Hippopotamus.aspx
Remember this? Though he no longer fits in the palm of my hand, Aussie still loves Asian pears too (the perfect stocking stuffers)!
For The Holistic Culinary Adventurist
- Kelly’s Bakes Shoppe cookbook is topping off my list this year as I’m eager to replicate their decadent baked goods in my very own kitchen. Featuring dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free recipes that would trick even the most health weary members of our family. To all local family and friends; expect some special deliveries with the overflow of desserts guaranteed to be wafting through my home.
- Order here: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/made-with-love-more-than/9780147529831-item.html
For The ACTIVE-ist
The trail runners, the rock climbers, the insatiable ACTIVEists. For those of us who can’t last the movie without a good stretch..
4) Yoga Membership
- The gift of exercise, stress reduction, increased circulation through the winter and detoxification sounds like the holy grail of gifts to me! Bonus; there’s minimal wrapping required.
- Deals on memberships surface this time of year to entice us in for our resolutions of the New Year but should this be too much, opt for an instructional yoga DVD (Crunch Yoga Body Workouts) or the Yoga Girl series you can purchase from her website here: http://practice.rachelbrathen.com/
The Lovers Of SOUL-itude
Those of us silently retreating beneath the christmas tree for steaming herbal teas with a juicy soul read…
5) Eckhart Tolle’s : The Power Of Now
- Or any Eckhart Tolle. Originally brought to light by Oprah Winfrey, he has been a transformative spiritual spark for millions. If you have yet to read this, add it to your list!
6) A Course In Miracles
- Coming about the same way Eckhart Tolle did, I’ve seen, heard, and read about this book everywhere recently, taking its spot on my wish list!
- For a more easily digestible read, showing how to apply the principles of A Course in Miracles; opt for “A Return To Love” by Marianne Williamson.
7) Robin Sharma’s: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
- An equally eloquent and insightful writer, this book is a soulful adventure laced with meaning, purpose and inspiration. A must read for us all.
8) Japanese Tea Steeper
- The all-in-one Steeper and mug and the necessary companion to every warming read. Pair with a loose leaf bag of herbal tea, particularly digestion reliving peppermint or cleansing chai.
For Us Who Know: Theres No Place Like OM For The Holidays
For those of us who beg the question:”are they resting… or meditating?”…
9) Oprah And Deepak’s Latest Meditation Series
- With Oprah and Deepak as our guides, we are whisked into effortless meditation, relaxation, rejuvenation and empowerment. This, in my personal opinion, was their most powerful series yet. Welcoming you whether you are a seasoned meditator or are new to the experience, we will all benefit from coming OM for the holidays.
- For only $39.99, this CD pack comes with online access to meditate anytime, anywhere. https://chopracentermeditation.com/store/product/116/become_what_you_believe_streaming
To Our Natural Beauties
Those of us whose beauty routine is practically edible, doubling as a wholesome breakfast and equally exfoliating skin mask…
10) Giddy Yoyo’s Edible Body Butter
- Made from cacao butter, coconut oil, olive oil and vanilla, you will smell (and taste) like chocolate! Need I mention it’s organic, vegan and cruelty free? Oh, and it all acts as a natural lubricant… Just be sure to remove this tip when sharing this gift guide with your mother. 😉
11) A shower head filter
- Want shiny, healthy hair and smooth, glowing skin? This is a must! If not filtered, that water is flowing with chemicals including chlorine which binds to hair and strips it of its natural oils leading to oily, frizzy and unruly hair as well as dandruff and an irritated scalp. It also disrupts the beneficial bacteria on our skin causing excessive dryness and irritation.
- The water flowing over our skin (the largest organ of our body) is absorbed into our blood stream, intensified in hot showers where our pores are open. This lending the case that we are not just what WE eat but what our BODIES eat. For our healthiest, most radiant hair and skin, this is a MUST.
The Rejuvenation Junkie
Likely to be caught soaking in a tub of epsom salts (a great socking stuffer) with lavender essential oils and the soulful harmony of Trevor Hall, our rejuvenation junkies will revel in gifts that sooth their wellness souls.
12) A Bed Of Nails
- It is the de-stress mattress of 2016. Though it doesn’t sound comfortable, it feels amazing! The acupressure mats have thousands of non-toxic plastic spikes that stimulate energy to induce deep relaxation, stress reduction, improve clarity and mental alertness.
- Some find the experience intense and may benefit from a sheet or shirt between themselves and the mat. I, on the other hand, enjoy the full effect and will stand on it, lay bare backed on it and even sit on it.
- Find them here: http://bedofnails.org/products/
Tip; its rejuvenating effects are amplified when coupled with your favourite Aussie!
13) Himalayan salt lamp
- Responsible for the eery, luminescent glow from my bedroom, these lamps are soft, non stimulating lights with medicinal and rejuvenating properties from its illumination of negative ions. I received this last year and use it all day everyday until I go to sleep at night as we should aim for total darkness for the adequate release of our sleep hormone melatonin.
- Disclaimer; for these potent benefits, be sure you are purchasing one made with authentic Himalayan salt.
For The Foodies
For those of us more enticed by the unveiling of the christmas feast than the unwrapping of gifts beneath the tree…
14) Giddy Yoyo Dark Chocolate
- Of course we love chocolate! Chocolate is a superfood after all, so long as it’s done right.
- Real chocolate is high quality with at least 70% cacao (which means less sugar is added), and only real, whole food ingredients. With a rainbow of flavours to choose from, there is something for everyone on your list! My top picks;
- Spicy for those who love their chocolate with a kick (my personal favourite)
- Vanilla salt, or raspberry, for those who enjoy the sweetness
- And mint which comes in 76% and 100% dark.
- Read more here: http://shop.giddyyoyo.com/chocolate-bars-1
15) Kale Bouquets
- Not just for Valentine’s Day! Tie them with a big, twine bow to melt your wellness enthusiast’s edible heart. (Just be sure they’re organic!). https://lifeofeden.com/2015/02/12/10-reasons-every-girl-needs-a-bouquet-of-kale/
Whether this is your wish list or your cheat sheet gift guide to the holidays, grab your favourite ones and share! 🙂
Happy shopping wellness enthusiasts!