At first glance, Yoda may seem nothing more than a wise character of science fiction who ate so many salads he became one. But let me assure you, his teachings span far beyond his Jedi’s and can teach all of us Padawan’s a thing or two when it comes to manifesting radiant health.
Yes, Yoda is a true yogi master.
Allow me to state my claims here:
- Beyond the amusing images of Yoda in down dog or attempting a back bended wheel pose, what Yoda has is beyond the control of his body, it is the control over his mind. This is yoga beyond the asana’s (postures).
- Though not causing objects to levitate, there are yoga gurus in the Himalayas known to have such control over their bodies that they can voluntarily stop their heart beat, change their brain waves between alpha, beta, theta, delta, and heat their bodies so much that they can sit naked in the snowy mountains and dry wet towels placed over their backs. This is a self-control taking years to cultivate but with the mind and a little patience, anything is possible, even holding frog pose for what seems like an eternity.
“Patience you must have young Padawan.”
- Though we do not see Yoda in Lulu spandex, stretched out on his Jade yoga mat for a practise, we often see him with his eyes closed in contemplation or silence. The mind has a hard time distinguishing between what is real and what is envisioned so long as the visualization is strong. Therefore, if we are too sick or have an injury and cannot practise, there is power in visualizing this practise. There are NASA studies that have shown the same muscles firing from visualizing an action as firing when the action was physically performed! The more detailed the realization, the more you feel as though it is reality, the stronger its effect will be.
So there we have it, proof that Yoda is our ultimate yoga master but what, then, is the force?
In yoga, our minds are the vehicles of our health. What we feed our minds is equally, if not more important than what we feed our bodies. It is our thinking that is responsible for what manifests both in our bodies and in our lives and continues to be backed up by scientific research. In fact, one of the biggest predictors of longevity is psychological resiliency; the ability to “bounce back” and go with the flow. It is also our minds that are the main responsibility in changing our daily habits and understanding that we have the ability and mental strength to transform our health. Our minds are the force to be reckoned with so long as we use it for good.
From our yoga master, Yoda, here are 3 Manifest Monday quotes to harness the power of mental resiliency, may the force be with you!
Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
- Stress is often the result of feeling a loss of control and can be responsible for up to 95% of onsets or progressions of disease. When we become attached to something in our lives, there is a fear that it can be taken away from us. Accepting that all things come and go and allowing it to be, gives us the power of resilience. Allow nothing to feel as though it is yours. Instead, cherish its presence, whether it be an object, an animal, a person, or idea, while it is there but release attachment.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
- The fear of not obtaining a goal is a counterintuitive thought that may prevent us from trying or from sticking to a health regime for the time it takes to work. By finding self love, flaws and all, we release this fear and are able to take set backs on our journey as experiences and step into a new direction. Do or do not. There is no try.
When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.
- Fill your time with things that fulfill you and make you feel happy and alive. raising our vibrations, filling our attention with positives, fueling our day on laughter, these are the things that create a resilient mind. One that can take any situation with a positive mindset. And of course, a heaping dose of yoga helps too 😉
May the fourth be with you yogis,