If I were to ask you right now, “how are you?,” what would your response be?
Much of the time we tend to answer this question with an “I am” or an “I am feeling,” but is this the most productive way? Our brains respond differently to an “I am” vs an “I feel” response and I am about to show you how to use this to your best advantage to cultivate health!
It is a quick holistic life hack that can instantly give you more health, happiness, feelings of abundance and live everyday this week on an empowered note with this week’s Prescription For Wellness Challenge! Here’s how it works:
I think therefore, I AM
- “I am” is an affirmative statement. It is making a statement about our identity that is then planted in our minds. With repetition, these statements become us. It is saying that “this feeling or this state of health is who I am.” The fact of the matter is that you are not this emotion or feeling, or illness.
- Much of how our body conducts itself is based largely on our thoughts and beliefs. It is the placebo effect in action. If you are in the healing process, for example, think of this illness as being something other than you. You are not what needs to be healed nor are you your feelings and when you connect to this, they will hold less control over you and you will be better equipped to deal with them.
- Prescription for wellness: When using an “I am” statement, always and only use it in a positive context. What we say we are, we become.
I feel …
- “I feel” holds less power. Feelings are not permanent. When we express ourselves this way we are stating our feelings in the moment but not trapping them in our psyche. It is okay to express ourselves, no feeling is “wrong” but we want to do so in a productive manner that doesn’t keep us trapped in those feelings.
- Holistic life hacks: Want to feel instantly more energised? Next time you feel tiredness within you, think to yourself “I am tired.” Sit with this for a moment and observe how you feel. Then change this to the statement “I am energised.” Really feel it. Convince yourself that you are energized. Did you notice a difference? Much of how we feel throughout the day is based largely on what we are telling ourselves and what we believe ourselves to be. So choose to speak of what you want to feel and choose to speak of health!
There is ____ within me.
- I first heard this statement from Eckhart Tolle. It implies neither that we are our feelings or illness nor that we must remain with them. It denounces them. Disempowers them and puts you in control and assists in making you feel empowered with the ability to change your current circumstance. In neuroscience, this statement has been studied as an “I am doing” implying you can simply stop doing that emotion and thereby choose another. Whichever statement works for you, use that! Ultimately, you are in control, but what we feed our minds is equally as important as what we feed our bodies!
Brain Fuel Cheat Sheet
- If you are feeling tired, or are speaking of an illness within you, do so sparingly and use the statement “there is ____ within me” or “I am doing.” You might say something like “there is tiredness with me” or “I am doing fatigue.” These hold the least power, are impermanent and allow you to take control of the situation.
- When expressing positive emotions and health conditions, do so with an “I am” or “I feel” statement to cement these positive aspects into your psyche and attract more of it!
Prescription For Wellness Challenge
- This week, use these brain hacks every time you think or speak about how you feel or the state of your health. The point here is to become conscious of how we are responding, to direct our responses positively and to make this a habit. Talk to others and tell yourself more of what you want and use these tricks to make yourself feel instantly more energised, motivated, empowered and healthy!
I feel that this week is going to be an inspired one,