“Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.”
~ The Imitation Game
- Popcorn MUST be purchased organic. Non-organic corn is heavily sprayed in pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers which wreak havoc on our health and the health of our environment.
- a large Cineplex popcorn unbuttered is the calorie and fat content equivalent of two McDonald’s Big Macs
- The same bag having nearly a day’s worth of sodium intake
and that’s without butter.
According to Cineplex Entertainment’s Nutrition and Allergen guide, their liquid margarine contains these ingredients (plus a few others):
- Soybean Oil
- Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
- Soy Protein,
- Soy Lecithin
- Potassium Sorbate
- Mono & Diglycerides
- Artificial Flavour
This ingredient list is high in processed soy and oils which alters their chemical composition causing them to be toxic to our bodies. Also present are artificial flavourings, preservatives and, once again, salt. Its shelf life: a minimum of three months! Real food rots. If it does not go bad, what exactly are we eating?
- Eat when you are hungry
A movie snack is a cultural habit. Food is meant to be enjoyed when we are hungry. If you are not hungry, skip the snack and just enjoy the film.
- Be a delinquent and bring your own food & drinks
- Eat mindfully : if eating, eat BEFORE the movies
Eat during the opening credits and pay attention to the taste and flavour. You’ll be satisfied faster, longer and enjoy your food more.
- Don’t eat during or even before a suspense, thriller or horror film.
The stress you feel in these movies actually puts our body into the “fight or flight” mode. This state activates our
sympathetic nervous system which tells the body to stop digesting so that you have more energy to flee. Of course, you’re not going anywhere but your body doesn’t know that and your digestion is compromised as a result.
- Make healthier versions.
A better than butter alternative popped up in my kitchen for Monday night’s movie ventures, though it was admittingly gone before I had even left for the theatre!
- Better Than Butter Popcorn:
- Chocolate, Cashew Drizzled Popcorn
Organic, homepopped Popcorn (again, NEVER microwaveable)
Raw, vegan dark chocolate
Simply melt your chocolate in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. This will prevent it from burning and keep the delicate cocoa oils from denaturing. Lay popcorn flat on a sheet of wax paper and drizzle the warm chocolate over top, sprinkle with sea salt and pop into the fridge before enjoying. Keep cool.
Popping out of the hobbit hole for a movie date treat,