Lotus and silence and peace, oh my!
One of the single, most powerful ways to revolutionize your health; mind, body and spirit? Meditation! It’s free, it’s always accessible to you and you need nothing more than, well, you! There is no need for a witch’s ruby slippers, your somewhere over the rainbow is right here. Simply come to lotus and repeat: “there’s no place like om, there’s no place like om, there’s no place like om”
- Meditation has been shown to increase the length of your telomeres (the “caps” at the ends of your chromosomes) which slows aging and is a strong indicator of longevity. This occurs by way of your increased ability to manage stress and encourages feelings of well being which in turn promotes the health of your telomeres to lengthen them. No munchkin telomeres here!
- Meditation has been found to be more effective than morphine, a drug that is toxic and harmful to the body, by reducing pain by up to 50%!
3. Better for children with ADHD than amphetamines
- This is according to a 2011 report in the Mind and Brain – The Journal of Psychiatry here:
4. Take it to the classroom
- Meditation for children has been shown to
- Reduce exam stress levels
- Improve concentration
- Increase attendance
- Improve self awareness
- Reduce classroom disruption
and that recieves an A+ in my book!
5. Ignites our inner furnace
- This is one cool benefit as the chilly weather approaches. Meditation involving deep breathing will increase our circulation to warm our bodies, no burning scarecrows needed.
6. Keep calm and carry on
- Meditation soothes our nervous systems to take us from “threat” mode to “challenge” mode, in turn reducing our stress to keep calm and carry on.
7. Get glowing
- The positive state experienced by meditators will show in a subtle glow on an individual. Want to glow like Glenda the good witch? Get meditating!
8. Melt the green faced monster
- Meditation steadies our emotions to reduce dpression, anxiety, boost our happiness and well being and reduce jealousy!
9. Perspective – “Toto… I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore…”
- No need to be whisked away in a tornado and thrown into Oz to gain some perspective, meditation does this without the motion sickness. It shifts our thoughts from worry and negativity to relaxation and positivity. It helps us to shift into focussing on all of the good that happens through the day instead of ruminating on negative and what’s more? This can manifest more good into our lives and boost our overall feelings of well being.
10. The gateway to lucid dreaming – “and you, and you, and you were there!”
- Becoming more aware through your waking state will increase your ability to become aware when dreaming.
11. Laugh the day away! (in the merry old land of Oz)
- Become light hearted both literally and figuratively. On a literal level, meditation has been shown to increase cardiovascular health and decrease cholesterol levels to potentially reduce arterial plaque.
- Figuratively, meditation helps you to see that nothing in life is so serious and suddenly you’re laughing at life’s curve balls and being unaffected by the things that may once have caused a reaction in you. (Sorry siblings, you’ll have to try a little harder.)
12. Food-free anti-inflammatory diet
- Meditation is a powerful way to reduce inflammation in the body and create an internal alkaline state to promote overall health, the same things we aim to do with our diets.
13. Become a social butterfly
- Meditators tend to have the qualities that draw others to them and has been shown to increase social connections. Why? They are likely to be happier, more empathetic, compassionate and energised.
14. It makes your brain plastic! (and not in a BPA kind of way)
- This is all thanks to a little somthing called neuroplasticity; the brain’s ability to structurally and functionally change to adapt to its environment and daily meditation will help your brain to do this!
15. Your Grey Matters
- Long term meditation has been shown to increase grey matter density in our brains and why does this matter? It is associated with increased learning, memory and attention.
- What did lion, scarecrow, Dorothy, and tinman all have in common? All they were searching for, they already had. When manifesting your life’s desire, meditation will help bring you to everything you are seeking by showing you that you already have it. Health and wellness? It’s yours! Reduced stress, inner peace, happiness? Learn to steady your mind and calm your body, because there is simply no place like om.